Foot and leg Injury - Plantar Fasciitis

Moderator: George Payan

George Payan

Foot and leg Injury - Plantar Fasciitis

Post by George Payan »

I always tell athletes when they join the team, have a desire, be discipline, and be dedicated to train and race, and focus on a goal and follow the instructions and advice set forth in the training program, I say each day, to the athletes you go through personal battles and challenges every single day. I emphasize which is most important to me is punctuality for all training sessions and report on time for your races. I always have talks daily with the athletes before practice and emphasize, Life lessons, and "Living the Championship Lifestyle" and being honest on any problem before the start of any practice or race that could stop their training or racing and to talk to me privately. Most organizations or institutions have full time athletic trainers, sometimes before practice you'll have athletes come to you and complaint of an injury, without any hesitation the coaches sends their athletes to the athletic trainer's work place. When my athletes come to me and complaint about an injury I tell the athlete(s) after when I finishing talking to the group before training starts, go to the trainer and report back to me.

Outside of high school, I also train athletes that belong to an affiliated club. Most clubs athletes don't have an athletic trainer to assist them with their injuries, unless the coach is a medical doctor, and those athletes are assisted only to that club. Most coaches who train athletes that are certified have had a course in "Principles of Prevention" can discuss with their athletes self-treatment, alternative exercises, and preventive measures and those coaches who are not certified dealing with injuries probably have to recommend a physical therapist, or an orthopedic surgeon, or a M.D. physician or a Chiropractor or a medical clinic to deal with their athletes.

I had a discussion with my friend (Doug) an active athlete, he asked for assistance, "he said to me, there is so much information on the internet, I'm getting conflicting information on my pain". I asked where is your pain? "he said underneath my foot and I'm self-treating".

I told Doug, you have Plantar Fasciitis, the causes of Fasciitis are stress, tension and pulling on the plantar fascia. Doug, you might have a problem, with a tight Achilles tendon (which puts stress on the fasciae), high arches and rigid or flat feet can cause you to over pronate (twist too far inward on impact) are most susceptible. Wearing worn out shoes, at times, allows your feet to over pronate, or shoes that are too stiff can stretch the fasciae can also make you more susceptible. I asked, Doug, did you get rid of your shoes after your season of training, get rid of your old pair and get another new pair of training shoes. I highly recommend after every season of training to purchase a new pair of training shoes.

"Best Shoes for Plantar Fasciitis":

Hoka (One One Bondi 7) best for Plantar fasciitis
ASICS (Gel Kayano, Gel Nimbus, GT 1000, GT 2000)
Brooks (Glycerin, Ghost, adrenaline)
New Balance (New balance 1080V11)
Saucony
Gravity Defyers

I discussed with Doug, you can self treat by reducing running. Take aspirin or ibuprofen with food daily it helps with inflammation. By taking aspirin or ibuprofen with food, even when no symptoms or risk factors are present, you should check with a health care professional can best guide you. Ice the area for 15 to 20 minutes several times a day. Ice massage the fascia. To do this, fill a paper cup or plastic water bottle with water and freeze. The paper cup frozen peel off the paper, or use a plastic water bottle frozen, place the ice or bottle under your foot and roll the foot over it, from your heel to the ball of your foot and back again.

You can also self-treat and heal your soft tissue with a BFST (BLOOD FLOW STIMULATION THERAPY) wrap. You can reduce the pain and swelling and you can heal quickly. There are foot wraps available: The Plantar BFST WRAP and Foot ColdCure Wrap. Both wraps are designed to treat injuries in the sole of the foot and the back of the heel. The therapy wraps also heals: Heel Spurs, Plantar Fasciitis, Metatarsalgia, Foot Bursitis, foot Tendonitis and sore, tired feet. For more information about the wraps go to: Kingbrand.com

Respond from Doug: Hey thanks George it's all good advice, I have been doing some stretching of the Achilles tendon and I froze a bottle of water that I roll under my feet after I run, I have been using quality New balance running shoes, thanks again.